[sc34wg3] Topics that represent other topics?

Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:39:40 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Actually, that's been discussed at length and the conclusion that
| was reached in the end is that topic maps don't provide any
| machinery for creating topics that represent other topics,
| either. So the answer is that at present this is not explicitly
| supported. You can define a convention for this yourself, and use
| TMQL to query it, but you really will have to do stuff yourself.

* Patrick Durusau

| Are you seeing this as the same as the: prop-reifier-topic discussion?
|
| http://www.ontopia.net/omnigator/models/topic_complete.jsp?tm=tm-standards.xtm&id=prop-reifier-topic

Yep, that's correct.

| My unofficial notes from Baltimore, 2002, indicated: [...]

Yep. This is the resolution I was trying to rephrase.

| I don't see Martin's question as one of how to reify a topic.

I didn't either, but I saw it as being: how do I create a topic that
represents an association, as opposed to the relationship the
association represents.

| I think he is asking if he can have a topic for a subject, where the
| identity of the subject is defined in terms of other topics.

That could be. I'll leave it to Martin to answer your question.