[sc34wg3] Reification or Representation?

Robert Barta sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:30:14 +1000

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 11:55:11AM +0200, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> This is pretty much what TMDM already does, except that you now
> propose to use different terms. (Just making sure it's clear what the
> proposal is.)

Yes, I thought, the discussion is about proper terms.

> I guess you are saying two things here:
>
>  a) you prefer "reification" over "representation" for the
>     topic-subject relationship, and

Well, I am not religious about words, I sorta got used to it, it
scares the hell out of students (goodie!) and I can impress my
mother. "Representation" may really have a lot of different meanings,
especially to non-computer people.

>  b) we can use the same term for the two different things that TMDM
>     calls "representation" and "reification", but qualify it, so that
>     the one is called "direct X" and the other "indirect X".

Right.

\rho