[sc34wg3] Essence of the TMRM

Robert Barta sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:39:07 +1000

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 11:08:45AM +0200, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> * Robert Barta
> | As I understand XTM is using consistently URIs (not URLs) for
> | addressing purposes. This means that no one can stop me to use
> | a URN as subject indicator or even identifier: [...]
>
> You are of course right; you can define your own pointer mechanism
> with URIs, just like you can with HyTime. I guess the only difference
> is that HyTime makes it easier to do this.

So, I cannot see any problem with XTM (or TMDM) as long as there is
the 'escape hatch' URN. Good.

<rant>
The remark the HyTime might have more infrastructure doing things
reminds me of the OSI/Internet, Hyper-G/Web, SGML/XML
dichtonomies. Despite what people usually say, OSI was pretty
sophisticated and - for most of its parts - designed with MUCH
effort. Hyper-G (now called HyperWave) is a brilliant hypertext system
and far superior to web. I know too little about SGML first-hand, but
would assume a similar bias there.

So what? The lesson for me learned is that complexity above a certain
threshold will only create 'experts'. That is good to fence off the
'everyday user and engineer', but that is probably not what we want.
</rant>

\rho