[sc34wg3] Individual contribution on the U.S. N.B. position onthe progress ion of Topic Map standards

Dmitry sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 10:08:21 -0500

On Apr 3, 2004, at 9:36 AM, Jan Algermissen wrote:

>> I would allow defining identity identification rules. Each identity
>> rule transforms TMDM-R instance into new TMDM-R instance with
>> new identity tags.
>>
>> And I would allow defining merging implementation rules. Each merging
>> implementation rule transforms TMDM-R instance into new TMDM-R
>> instance. Implementation rule defines what it means to be merged for
>> a specific type of TMDM constructs.
>
> Hmm...what do you need these rules for? Why not simply say: when
> merging two subject surrogates
> (topics in RM sense) just unite all characteristics.

Identification rules only identify that some constructs are identical.

I can express rules like this, for example:

If topic X is instance of person
and Y is instance of person and
X is working in department D
and Y is working in department D
and X has fullName N
and Y has fullName N
then assign identity tag for X and Y

Or

If X is a physical object
and Y is a physical object
and X is located at location L at time T
and Y is located at location L at time T
then assign identity tag for X and Y

In both cases same "merging implementation rules" will describe what
merging of X and Y means

>> These transformation can be described in a very formal manner.
>>
>> Using these mechanisms I can (informally) describe "not relaxed" TMDM
>> as following:
>>
>> Identity Identification Rules:
>>
>> IDRule 1:
>> If topic X1 has Subject Identifier S
>> And topic X2 has Subject Identifier S
>> Then assign X1 the same identity tag as X2
>> attach justification based on this rule to identity tag
>>
>> IDRule 2:
>> If topic X1 has Address A
>> And topic X2 has Address A
>> Then assign X1 the same identity tag as X2
>> attach justification based on this rule to identity tag
>>
>> IDRule 3:
>> If topic X1 has SourceLocator L
>> And topic X2 has SourceLocator L
>> Then assign X1 the same identity tag as X2
>> attach justification based on this rule to identity tag
>>
>> IDRule 4:
>> If topic X1 has base name N1 in scope S
>> And topic X1 has base name N2 in scope S
>> And value of N1 is equal value of N2
>> Then assign N1 the same identity tag as N2
>> attach justification based on this rule to identity tag
>
> Hmm...why is this superiour to what the TMDM already says?
> The effect is the same.

That was the purpose of this example to show that I can use formal
approach
to describe TMDM merging rules.

But I also can describe (with additional rules) merging concept of RDF.

Additional RDF merging rules have to cover bags and collections.

Dmitry