[sc34wg3] Individual contribution on the U.S. N.B. position o nthe progress ion of Topic Map standards

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 03 Apr 2004 12:43:25 +0200

Jan Algermissen wrote:

> The issue is standardization and interchange of information, it is not
> the question how to built applications that merge topics.
>
> I assume we are somehow talking past each other, or?

Consider this:

Organization A has developed a topic map with specialed merging rules
(e.g. merging based on latitude and longitute properties) and likes to
hand this map to another organization (or maybe even to another department).

Given your scenario, A needs to send the map, the Astma rules and the
rule engine because without these three things the original intention
cannot be communicated.

Besides the open-source-ness of the engine in this situation this is
what you actually call vendor lock-in.

Buy product X from company Y and express your merging rules according to
X and you'll NEVER get rid of X again!

Jan

--
Jan Algermissen                           http://www.topicmapping.com