[sc34wg3] FW: Proposal for Starter Content

Murray Altheim sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 07 Sep 2003 16:18:50 +0100

Robert Barta wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 08:36:44PM +0100, Murray Altheim wrote:
>
>>If there aren't any IPR issues and there is a base URL available,
>>I'm happy to do this work, BTW. I'm looking for all sorts of
>>upper ontologies that my target audience (fiction and nonfiction
>>writers) can use as classification schemes. I'd like to use Dewey,
>>but can't because of copyright (apparently).
>

> In case someone wants to look at this through TM-glasses, I have
> converted the subtype relationships into TM as provided by Matthew. It
> is a rather naive translation, ignoring components and constraints
> completely:
>
>   http://astma.it.bond.edu.au/
>
> If you have ideas about a more direct translation into TMs, please
> let me know.

Robert,

Interesting you'd tackle this one -- I was just starting to figure out
how to do the same things. Are you willing to re-distribute the XTM
document? I'm actually only interested in the taxonomic structure of
ISO 15926 at this point anyway, so it suits my purposes. The only
thing I'd probably want that I'm *guessing* you might not have done,
is to have the topics' subject identity pointing at the original web
pages (as documentation). This was the reason I'd asked earlier if
there was to be a canonical base URI for the document that could serve
that purpose...

Nice job!

Murray

Murray Altheim                         http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK                    .

           "The current and future international political
            environment severely constrains this country's
            ability to conduct long-range strike missions." -- DARPA
            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3035332.stm