Avoiding mistakes: was Re: [sc34wg3] DM conformance

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:38:29 -0500

Lars,

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> * Patrick Durusau
> |
> | Sorry, but we are far from avoiding that mistake. As you are well
> | aware there was one official ISO interchange syntax for topic maps
> | and several unofficial ones (including XTM that is now part of
> | 13250), not to mention other aspects of topic maps. Agree it perhaps
> | should have been done differently, but it wasn't and I resist the
> | notion that we can now say otherwise.
>
> I agree with that. What I meant was that we are now in a position to
> redo the offical syntax specification based on the model, and to avoid
> the mistake of doing schema and query languages without basing them on
> a model (which XML did).
>
> | Creating a restatement of one interchange syntax in terms of one
> | possible data model for topic maps is a sleight of hand that I find
> | particularly unpersuasive on this issue.
>
> What do you mean?

Simply pointing out that we cannot repair history. Technology and
standards for technology develop as they develop, best or better
practices being something we try to apply next time.

If the DM is not going to claim any conformance, then why the loose
language on interpretation? Simply having the various other
specifications say they are following the data model answers my
concerns. I don't think they would falsely claim conformance to the DM
and that settles the question of conformance, without having the DM make
noise about conformance that it has no intention of claiming. Why burden
the DM with interpretation or conformance questions at all?

Doesn't having the other specs say they are following the DM get you all
that one could reasonably expect?

What more do you want the DM to stand for other than being something
other specs claim to follow?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--