[sc34wg3] 3.13 Merging

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 05:36:29 -0500

Lars,

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> * Patrick Durusau
> |
> | ******3.13 Merging******
> | a process applied to topic maps in order to reduce the number of
> | redundant topic map constructs
> | *****/3.13**************
> |
> | It that what we really want to say about merging?
>
> Well, it is what merging is. What would you prefer it to say?

Suggest:

a process that combines information items that have the same subject

Noting that in the glossary, information item is defined as: "abstract
representations of topic map constructs" so I don't think we are losing
any precision in the statement.

Note that my suggestion captures the notion that the "information items"
are being combined, which reducing redundancy does not capture. I could
reduce redundancy by simply deleting other topic map constructs and not
capturing any additional information from them.

Would have preferred "topics" instead of "information items" but that
would not fit with the distinction (with which I disagree) between
topics and associations. They both have subjects and are merged on the
basis of criteria for whether they represent the same subject.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau