[sc34wg3] Almost arbitrary markup in resourceData

Mason, James David (MXM) sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:03:07 -0500

I've stayed out of the debate for a few days, but I believe that Bernard has
captured something important: any external markup that happens inside the
elements in question simply isn't the responsibility of the TM application
per se. It's not a matter of breaking XTM; it's rather something on which
XTM should be silent. The TM application, that is, the TM engine, for lack
of a better name, simply passes this data on to something else to process.
In that sense, it's like notation data that Martin mentioned. We've always
had tools like notations in SGML to allow us to encapsulate foreign data; we
might as well follow that pattern here.

As for interchange of arbitrary data, that's never been a goal of the SGML
community. The ODA folks may have claimed to be seeking purely arbitrary
interchange, but that was another of their will-o-the-wisps. I was saying 20
years ago that we in the SGML world were interested in constrained,
prearranged interchange. That's one of the reasons we developed DTDs and
their heirs, to communicate something about what data structures we intended
to interchange. DTDs, schemas, and their ilk still have known semantic
limitations, but they're some hedge against the receipt of absolutely
unforseen data dropping in out of the blue. We should be able to use the
tools provided us by the couple of decades of experience we've had with
SGML/XML markup instead of throwing away those strengths just because we're
doing TMs.

If I want to send a TM to an unknown recipient, I'll play it safe and avoid
anything not in XTM. But when I know my recipient and we have negotiated our
environment, I see no reason why we shouldn't consider additional markup as
part of the environment; I don't want ISO 13250 to tell me I can't structure
my application environment. I don't see why resourceData and baseNameString
shouldn't be treated as inline occurrence data. If I want to do some
programming (or get some vendor to do some programming) so that I can style
(or do whatever with) the negotiated data in my TM browser, then that means
I can sell the TM application more easily to my potential audience. If my
browser happens to be M$IE, for example, why shouldn't it be allowed to
process <xhtml:sup> or some other such element, at the same time it's
processing the XHTML pages generated by my TM engine? The browser is never
seeing XTM data; that's handled by the TM engine in the background. I expect
a TM engine to use a standard Web browser as its user agent; the TM engine
should pass through data it doesn't understand.

Another take on this issue: what's in the scope of SC34 to do.

I get the impression from Martin that his goal (at the least) was not to
constrain what sort of data appeared in a TM. ISO 13250 was written in terms
of architectural forms, and those could be applied to all sorts of
SGML/HyTime applications. There was no DTD that said what all the elements
of any application could be, much less their content models, just a
mechanism for the AF overlay that interpreted certain hyperlink-related
elements. The specification of PCDATA was not part of the original design;
it's rather an artifact of a specific DTD developed in the XTM process. We
accepted that DTD into 13250 ex post facto, knowing that it had certain
issues associated with it. But those issues were not intrinisic to the 13250
design.

I believe what I hear Martin saying is that we ought to be looking at ways
to make XTM capture more of the original spirit of TMs. I think the argument
about corrupting the purity of XTM is missing the goals we should have in
the standardization process: we should be seeking as much interchange
capability as we see the feasibility of implementing, not becoming rigid
about a single DTD which was, after all, only a 1.0 design.

I'd like to hear more from Martin and the other two original editors on what
they thought their goals were for TM interchange.

Jim Mason