[sc34wg3] Quietly Storming Out

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 06:46:51 -0500

Martin,

Martin Bryan wrote:
> Murray

<snip>

> I was trying to suggest a way of reducing the size of your muckfest to
> manageable proportions (one namespace only). I have stormed out of the XTM
> group. I'm about to submit another rant from a user of topic maps to the
> group in support of my position even though I don't expect anyone on the
> group to listen to it. Users needs don't seem to have any effect on the
> group, which has come more and more to be seen as a developer's clique
> imposing restrictions on potential users to the extent that they might as
> well forget about the original ideas of topic maps. [end of rant:-)]

Well, I must say this is the first time I have ever been accused of
being part of a "developer's clique." At least you did not accuse me of
being a developer, something the real developers in the topic maps
community would have found very offensive. (Humor, for all those too
angry to recognize it.)

I think members of the group listen best to arguments that are not
phrased in "sons of light" versus the "sons of darkness" sort of terms.
(Apologies for the gender bias, it is a historical reference to writings
from the Qumran community.)

The need for topic maps is not limited to users who can fit their data
into a web centric view of the world, nor should those who can be
relegated to a secondary status. Speaking solely for myself, I am very
interested in arguments that illustrate the needs of users in both
groups and those that fall somewhere in between.

I don't think anyone in the group is interested in intentionally
limiting the appeal of topic maps to a particular user community or set
of user requirements. To use the "V" word, vendors, certainly don't have
that as an interest, and more erstwhile academics certainly don't
either. I assume users simply want solutions to their problems and could
  care less about the topic maps theological issues that seem to
underlie much of our discussion.

My suggestion is that you make your arguments and try not to presume
that no one is listening. I have found when I make that presumption, it
tends to color my argument to the point that no one wants to listen,
thus becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Hope you are at the start of a great week!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
Director of Research and Development