[sc34wg3] Almost arbitrary markup in resourceData

Jason Cupp sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:37:19 -0800

I'm +1 too, but I can't vote...

If you can put anything at the end of an <resourceRef>, then it doesn't make
sense to restrict a <resourceData> to PCDATA -- even without use-cases, this
seems straightforward.

What makes sense for me then, is to allow XTM to play well with the current
state-of-the-art, which is any XML + namespaces. Why do so many people
dislike namespaces? They let me say what I mean, unambigiously -- with my
own custom XML applications or using RDF.

Instead of new XTM tags to indicate content <resourceXML>, <resourceBase64>,
you could establish PSIs to use as occurrence types:
http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/#xml,
http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/#base64, other wise a processor would
assume PCDATA -- wasn't there someone doing PSIs for mime-types?

- Jason

| |