[sc34wg3] Almost arbitrary markup in resourceData

Freese, Eric D. (LNG-DAY) sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:05:02 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3A9EF.21AF0724

Thanks Aad!  This seems reasonable.  It is similar to how SVG does its
extension mechanism.  In SVG, you add any new markup to the predefined
entities in the doctype declaration for the document.  I assume that there
is similar functionality in RELAX-NG.  This works for me, because the XTM
document is still valid XML.

I really like the rules about the TM owner providing the guidance for
processing the arbitrary XML.  If you're sending stuff like this out, you
should be documenting it.  Of course it would be up to the person using the
topic map to decide if they want to honor the guidance, but at that point if
they don't it is "buyer beware".  We should probable make it possible to
declare which of the pieces are to be removed tags and all and which of the
others are to remove just the tags.  OR make one action the default and have
a way of declaring the exceptions.  A list of XPaths might be a good way of
doing this (//resourceData/myTag).

The one question for rule #3 is "What assumptions do I make in preparing the
stylesheet?"  Do I assume presentation (to XHTML?) or some other processing
(transformation to some industry standard)?  If this rule were adopted,
there would need to be some clarification as to the base assumptions of the
provided stylesheet.