[sc34wg3] Almost arbitrary markup in resourceData

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 06:20:42 -0500

Eric,

Freese, Eric D. (LNG-DAY) wrote:

<snip>

> I am speaking from the front lines of the user community, not the tool
> vendor community, not the acedemic community.  I'm claiming my stake as part
> of the target market - the people who want to make money using the tools and
> standard as opposed to those implementing or studying.

Ouch! Or as Charley Brown would say, "He nicked me with a nyah!" ;-)

The academic community has suffered at the hands of standards bodies
that prefer texts that are dumbed down until they meet capricious limits
on parsing/processing. Well, the users in the academic community at any
rate.

I think Eric's point is well taken and the various parts of the topic
map standard need to take it into account. Standards that insure
information is interchangeable but that do not meet the needs of users
are interesting, but irrelevant.

As Eric and others have suggested, we are not faced with choosing either
interchange or usefulness. Both are possible in the topic maps standard,
but only if we show some imagination and ingenuity in devising a
solution that meets both requirements. To choose one without the other
is a recipe for failure.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--