[sc34wg3] Almost arbitrary markup in resourceData

Mason, James David (MXM) sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:21:52 -0500

 I second Eric. His needs are very similar to mine, and he's made a better
case than I could yesterday night .

 (Yesterday was my mother's 97th birthday, and we're in Indiana, helping her
and cleaning her house.)

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Freese, Eric D. (LNG-DAY)
To: 'sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org'
Sent: 11/11/2003 10:09 AM
Subject: RE: [sc34wg3] Almost arbitrary markup in resourceData

OK, in earlier instances of this thread there was a mention made of user
requirements.  Let me, as a user, explain why LexisNexis and Reed
Elsevier
see arbitrary markup added to a LIMITED number of places within XTM
(i.e.
names and resourceData) as an improvement to the standard.

One application (presented at Extreme Markup last summer) includes
descriptive data about each of LexisNexis' 32000+ sources.  This data is
more than a sentence or phrase in length.  It is often several
paragraphs
long and can include other markup such as lists, chemical, mathematical,
or
linking markup.  Under the current standard it is impossible to add any
XML-like markup into the data to preserve the markup - even things as
simple
as paragraph breaks.  We looked at making each paragraph a different
piece
of resourceData, but there is NO guarantee in the standard that we would
get
the pieces back in the same order.  Also, the paragraphs as a whole
represent ONE instance of resourceData, not many, and we didn't see it
as
appropriate to have to plit them out.  We looked at storing each of
these
descriptions as separate documents, but the overhead of managing so many
extra documents presented possible performance/maintenance issues.  What
we
ended up doing was converting the angle brackets in this non-XTM markup
into
different characters that then had to be reconverted back to markup so
it
could be processed for presentation.  In a business that depends on
response
time, extra steps in processing are NOT a good thing.  As you know I am
fairly familiar with the topic map model.  When I have to come up with
these
workarounds in order to make a fairly straightforward application work,
it
makes my attempts to sell upper management on the usefulness of the
topic
map model MUCH more difficult.

As I see it, the content within resourceData and names is specifically
for
human consumption, not a topic map processor.  [This could, I believe,
be
said of any PCDATA within an XML topic map, but that is another
discussion.
When the TCN is not in effect, doesn't all the cool stuff happen in the
attributes?]]  If the standard were changed to allow well-formed XML
within
these places, to make it more useable for humans, then I see that as a
win.
Any markup outside the XTM namespace is not to be processed by an XTM
processor, just stored/passed through/not touched/whatever as part of
the
data - end of requirement.  Do I expect XTM procesors to know what to do
with XHTML?  No.  Do I expect XTM processors to know what to do with
arbitrary XML?  No.  Do I expect XTM processors to process XTM?  Yes.
XTM
is a tool in my toolbox, but I have others that also have specific
purposes.
I would like to be able to send the non-XTM (but still XML) data to the
appropriate application and have something useful done with it.  I
really
don't think that is muddying up the waters that much.  Also, if a tool
DID
try to do something with the additional markup, I'd be highly skeptical.
An
API on the other hand might be a cool thing to differentiate products.
But
I will buy a topic map processor, first and foremost, on its topic map
functionality, not the bells and whistles.

It has also been said that XTM is for interchange.  I agree.  However,
the
additional markup in my data represents some of the semantic information
of
my data - the same semantics I want to interchange.  If I have to strip
this
semantic information out of my data for the sake of meeting some
arbitrary
requirement of an interchange standard, it might be considered a
limitation
that I don't necessarily need to live with.  Now this "interchange"
standard
is telling me what of my semantic information I can and can't
interchange.
So is it really a useful interchange standard?  One might wonder.

I will look for a tool/standard that suits my needs the best.  It's a
simple
business decision.  The question before the powers that be in defining
the
topic map model is "Which requirements do you support and which ones do
you
not?".  From there, the potential user community will decide if this is
standard that fits their needs, or not.  Again, hopefully, it's a simple
business decision.

Eric Freese
LexisNexis

http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK
.

    Allegations of animal mistreatment against Yukos surfaced in an
    inspection of a farm belonging to a Yukos-affiliated company in
    the Siberian region of Yakutia, news reports said. Male and female
    rabbits were kept together and "couplings take place
unsystematically,"
    the Interfax news agency said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/11/06/
inte