[sc34wg3] Almost arbitrary markup in resourceData

Mason, James David (MXM) sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:34:44 -0500

 i'm away from work and don't have a chance to think this through in detail,
but my interest here (and in the similar baseNameString case) is in having
the ability to bring in GIs from a foreign namespace. Bringing in things
from the XTM namespace looks like dangerous recursion. My quick response is
that the topicRef in resourceData is simply meaningiless garbage.

Jim Mason

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Marius Garshol
To: sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sent: 11/10/2003 2:07 PM
Subject: [sc34wg3] Almost arbitrary markup in resourceData

I'm working on extending the RELAX-NG schema for XTM 1.1 to support
arbitrary markup in <resourceData> and <baseNameString/> and ran into
some questions.

The first is: do we want to allow XTM elements to appear inside these
elements? That is, is

  <resourceData>XTM is an <topicRef xlink:href="#XML"/>-based markup
  language.</resourceData>

OK? If so, what does it mean? Is it OK for <scope> to appear here? For
<topicMap/>? For <resourceData>?

And what about this

  <resourceData>XTM is <em>really</em> cool.</resourceData>

is that OK? (This is a trick question: the XTM namespace is the
default namespace, so 'em' will be posing as an XTM element here,
since it will be in the XTM namespace.)

This is clearly OK, however:

  <resourceData>XTM is <xhtml:em>really</xhtml:em>
  cool.</resourceData>

I can easily write the RELAX-NG rules for this, whatever we decide,
but I think we need to consider this carefully so that we don't trip
ourselves (and others) up.