[sc34wg3] Almost arbitrary markup in resourceData

10 Nov 2003 20:07:55 +0100

I'm working on extending the RELAX-NG schema for XTM 1.1 to support
arbitrary markup in <resourceData> and <baseNameString/> and ran into
some questions.

The first is: do we want to allow XTM elements to appear inside these
elements? That is, is

  <resourceData>XTM is an <topicRef xlink:href="#XML"/>-based markup
  language.</resourceData>

OK? If so, what does it mean? Is it OK for <scope> to appear here? For
<topicMap/>? For <resourceData>?

And what about this

  <resourceData>XTM is <em>really</em> cool.</resourceData>

is that OK? (This is a trick question: the XTM namespace is the
default namespace, so 'em' will be posing as an XTM element here,
since it will be in the XTM namespace.)

This is clearly OK, however:

  <resourceData>XTM is <xhtml:em>really</xhtml:em>
  cool.</resourceData>

I can easily write the RELAX-NG rules for this, whatever we decide,
but I think we need to consider this carefully so that we don't trip
ourselves (and others) up.