[sc34wg3] implementer's comments on XTM, 23.2.2003, Rev1.15

24 Mar 2003 23:48:34 +0100

* Robert Barta

| General comments:
|
|   - maybe put somewhere that XTM is meant as "exchange syntax" not
|   so much for authoring? As a consequence XTM strives (not yet
|   there) for orthogonality.

Good point. Will put that in.

|   - I appreciate that the former XTM standard is broken apart into
|     smaller, more manageable things. Much better to read.

Thanks. Good to get some feedback on this.

|   - I wonder whether it would be a good idea to merge the syntactic
|     portions with the semantic (=SAM) ones. So for instance merge (!)
|     2.1 with 3.2, 2.2 with 3.3, etc.

That is an idea, admittedly. The split was very much done consciously,
but nobody has ever commented on it before. Other opinions on this?

|   - I do not like much IDs appearing someplace and not the other. An
|     XML id is something VERY(!!!) internal and something very
|     XMLish. The kludge of addressing topics with #topic-id is what it
|     is, a kludge. It does not point to a topic but to a textual
|     representation of a topic within a document. There could be
|     millions of this.

I'm afraid you'll have to explain a bit more here, Robert. What is the
problem, and how would you prefer to solve it? I suppose you are
referring to the source locators?

| ad 1)
|
|   - paragraph 2: When consuming several maps from an XML document it
|     remains unclear whether the maps should be merged or remain
|     separate.

True. Will fix.

(The intention was that they will not be merged. Unless the
application specifically requests it, of course.)

|   - 'architectural processing': either explain it or make a reference

Will do.

|   - ....or XSLT transformation_s_ ....

Corrected.

|   - Issue(xtm-href-xpointer):
|
|     I would prefer if TM processing does NOT do too much link magic.
|     If we keep it orthogonal then the standard has some freedom later.

Noted. This appears to be the consensus.

|   - Issue(xtm-href-whitespace)
|
|     No, raise error. This is XML, anyway, so strictness is ok.

Noted. I also note that XML Schema does not require an error in this
situation, whereas XLink seems to. Consensus appears to lean towards
disallowing it.

|   - Issue(xtm-where-resourceref)
|
|     It would REALLY be good if the clumsy and cumbersome
|     distinctions between resourceRef, topicRef, .... would
|     disappear. They slow down parsing.

Not sure I follow here. You mean you would prefer if only topicRef
were used to refer to topics? I made that comment myself just before
XTM was published, but it was too late then, and it's definitely too
late now. :)

|     Why not allow topics everywhere, regardless where they come from?

Or did I misunderstand? Here you seem to say that resourceRef should
be allowed everywhere?

|   - Issue(xtm-unused-ids)
|
|     My opinion here is that ALL ids should disappear, even the topic
|     ids. Implementations may keep them or may reissue new ids for an
|     application. These can then be used for reification purposes.

Well, the issue is whether the ID attributes should be in the syntax
or not. Whether we should have source locators or not is a completely
separate issue.

|     A reification of a baseName via a link into an XML document is
|     weird anyway. It only works for XML while the majority of topics
|     will come from other sources.

True, but the SAM provides mechanisms for expressing this even if the
source is not an XTM document.

|   - Issue(xtm-version):
|
|     1.1 ? But if so, then there we need a backward compatibility
|     chapter (and maybe an XSLT sheet).

1.1 appears to be the consensus. We definitely do need to add an
appendix listing the syntax changes. An XSLT stylesheet is not needed,
since so far all previously valid documents remain valid in the new
version. (Except in lots of cases where it was anybody's guess what
was valid and what was not.)

|   - Issue(xtm-normative-schema)
|
|     I would take section 2 as authoritative and the rest
|     informational.

Appendix B, or section 2? The issue is talking about whether the DTD,
the RELAX-NG schema, or the XSDL schema should be normative. Section 2
is the syntactical part, while section 3 tells you what it means.

|   - Issue(xtm-schema-uri)
|
|     I like URIs a lot. Yes.

Noted.

|   - Issue(xtm-xlink-type)
|
|     No magic here please.

This issue was a mistake, as Murray Altheim kindly pointed out.

|   - Issue(xtm-xlink-actuate)
|
|     No magic here please. This is NOT about hyperlinks, btw.

Noted.

|   - Issue(xtm-xmlbase-everywhere)
|
|     No. xml:base is an ugly cludge which is mostly used to hide design
|     flaws. If someone needs it he can create submaps. I could live
|     with it on the toplevel, but that's about it. :-)

Noted.