[sc34wg3] Type versus Class: settled yet?

Mary Nishikawa sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 18:42:32 +0900

Sorry for cross posting, but this terminology needs some discussion by WG3, too.

*Bernard Vatant
> >>BTW the use of type vs class should be made
> >>consistent at least with SAM prose, but I assume "topic type" here means
> >>"topic class")

Actually, I think we still need to come to grips with these. In Barcelona,
we decided to replace the term "class" with "type."

So now we should be using the terms topic type, subtype, and supertype.
While working on this draft, I found I really wanted to really use
"class"not "type." I don't think they are interchangable in all cases.

Class of things is the set of things. Type of things is not, it is the
category that describes the things in the set. Please comment and correct
me if my thinking of the terms is wrong.

So we usually say, what type or (kind) of ice cream is your favorite? We do
not say, what class of ice cream is your favorite.

The class "strawberry ice cream" could exist. The members could be all the
varieties made by different manufacturers  of ice cream type "strawberry"
if I wanted to create my ontology this way. Maybe I am doing a benchmarking
study on the makers of strawberry ice cream.

There is Hagendaz strawberry ice cream which is different from Bryers, or
the type made by the Fishkill ice cream parlor, or Subretto's gellato.

Of course, we can get complicated and some vendors may give crazy names to
their product, but usually there is a type plain old "strawberry."

Oh, I think this might be a good example for a usage scenario, come to
think of it.

Also, look again at this: