[sc34wg3] occurrence - basename fuzzy border

01 Mar 2003 15:15:29 +0100

* Steve Pepper

| But as you yourself pointed out, we *did* add what might be regarded
| as a new feature (typed names) in order to fix the TNC bug.

We did. As I see it that is defensible because we found ourselves
forced to do it by technical and political pressures in the course of
fixing that bug.

| Some people already regarded the lack of typed names to be a bug in
| its own right because it meant inconsistency in the model (names
| were the only topic characteristics that could not be typed).

I don't buy that. You might as well claim that it's a bug that
occurrences don't have roles the way associations do. As I see it,
types on names, variants on occurrences, and so on, are all new
features. Types on names we added because we had to in order to fix a
serious problem. I don't see that anything forces us to add occurrence
variants.

| I do firmly believe that we should not be adding new features at
| this stage, or in any way extending what we already have, unless we
| feel it is absolutely necessary.

I agree, and I don't think occurrence variants are necessary. (Useful,
maybe. Necessary, no.)