[sc34wg3] [role playing topic] property value (WAS: Re: SAM: Topic Identity)

Murray Altheim sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 03 Jul 2003 14:13:58 +0100

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> * kal@techquila.com
> |=20
> | I don't understand why the [role player] property cannot be null
> | (like the [reifier] property) in this case.=20
>=20
> This was issue assoc-role-player-type, settled in Montr=E9al last year.=
=20
m-standards.xtm&id=3Dassoc-role-player-type >
>=20
> The reasoning was that conceptually both subjects *are* there, and we
> thought it would be cleaner and make life easier to require them to be
> there. Personally, I think the XTM syntax is wrong here, and that they
> ought to be required, but we can't fix that now. To be perfectly
> honest, this fix has bothered me somewhat since, and it may be that
> this is not the right solution to the problem.

Again, unless I'm mistaken, the reason that a number of features in XTM
were initially made optional (and later made optional as well), was that
among the various requirements for XTM was the need for an authoring
syntax. If certain features are required this means that authoring tools
must constantly switch back and forth between validation and non-validati=
on
as the document goes in and out of compliance.

Murray

=2E......................................................................=
=2E...
Murray Altheim                         http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murra=
y/
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK                   =
 .

           "The current and future international political
            environment severely constrains this country's
            ability to conduct long-range strike missions." -- DARPA
            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3035332.stm