[sc34wg3] One standard or several?

Bernard Vatant sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:53:25 +0100

Just two points.

First: I agree with Jim that a single, multiple parts, Topic Maps
standard in the way to go. Since 13250 is now a well-known brand, let's
try to keep it the general umbrella, and if possible gather whatever
belongs under that.

Second: in that spirit, I wonder if at some point we should not consider
integration of "General Requirements and Recommendations on Published
Subjects" under that umbrella. I refer here explicitly to Deliverable 1
of OASIS PubSubj TC, which hopefully will be approved soon. The way we
have done it finally in the TC, separating the core concepts and
requirements from any specific structure, metadata, syntax or
application (those being to be developed in future deliverables), it
seems to me that it deserves integration in the Topic Maps standard
family.

This is not something urgent, but to keep on the backburner, and figure
where it would be best to put that piece in the final (?) picture.

Bernard

Bernard Vatant
Knowledge Engineering
Mondeca - www.mondeca.com
OASIS Published Subjects Technical Committee
www.oasis-open.org/committees/tm-pubsubj