[sc34wg3] Audiences [was: a new name for the Reference Model]

Steve Pepper sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 04 Jan 2003 17:51:18 +0100

At 21:52 02.01.2003 -0600, Steven R. Newcomb wrote:
>    Here's my take on audiences:
>
>     13250: It's for everybody, but it's especially
>            appealing to XML/SGML people.  (More and
>            more, that's everybody in any
>            knowledge-intensive field.)

Agreed.

>    SAM:   Audience is knowledge managers and software
>            developers: techies.

Software developers, yes. Knowledge managers? What are
they?

>    RM:   It's for Knowledge managers and software
>            developers: techies who want to achieve
>            subject location uniqueness for subjects
>            that are specified by domain-specific
>            relationship types.

As long as we can't define the RM's audience in terms
other than those of the RM, we end up going in circles.

For the moment I am happy to accept that the RM is for
(1) those who wish to develop their own TM Models (i.e.,
     alternatives to the SAM), and
(2) those who wish to explain how some other notionally
     non-TM Model (e.g. RDF) can be regarded as a TM Model.

I suspect there is a much more straightforward way of
expressing the same thing, but I haven't found it yet.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)