[sc34wg3] "Topic Map" or "Topic Maps"?

Steve Pepper sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 00:32:31 +0100

At 15:24 02.01.2003 -0500, Michel Biezunski wrote:
>It's not a personal SRN practice. The name of the standard
>has always been "Topic Maps" (plural and capital letters).

I do know what the name of the standard is. That's not the
issue.

>We have tried to popularize this practice. (Apparently with
>not 100% success).

Definitely not, since we have two standards on our books that
use the singular: Topic Map Query Language and Topic Map
Constraint Language!

As things stand, I don't think we are inconsistent, even
though 13250 uses the plural. What *would* be inconsistent is
to start creating compounds of type 'TM foo' using the plural.
If you want to say Topic Maps Standard Model (for example),
you should propose to change TMQL and TMCL accordingly.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)