[sc34wg3] a new name for the Reference Model

Steve Pepper sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 02 Jan 2003 16:25:18 +0100

At 07:12 02.01.2003 -0500, Michel Biezunski wrote:
>[Steve P:]
>
> > (b) Using the term "Information Set" for the "SAM" is
> >      both accurate (since that's the formalism it uses)
> >      and self-explanatory -- at least for those who know
> >      the purpose of the XML Information Set, which I would
> >      say constitutes a large proportion of our audience
> >      for the "SAM" (as opposed to our audience for topic
> >      maps in general, of course). (This is also Good
> >      Marketing.)
>
>I find it's too limiting. Saying that implies that we
>are targeting the SAM model to XML developers, whereas what
>SAM really is is how to model knowledge. It should be
>appealing to information owners and anybody who wants to
>do some kind of knowledge management and doesn't even
>know that XML exists.

I disagree on all three counts. What I am referring to by
the "Information Set" (i.e. the expression of the "SAM" in
terms of information items and properties) is very much
targeted at developers (who by the way also need to understand
XML if they are to implement XTM processing).

On the other hand, the way I envisage the restated 13250,
it will be targeted at the kind of people you mention. So
these two different documents in the same family are
targeted at quite different groups and the name "Topic
Maps Information Set" *does* make sense for a large
proportion of the readership of the latter document.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)