[sc34wg3] a new name for the Reference Model

Mary Nishikawa sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 02 Jan 2003 03:36:32 -0800

Steve P. and Steve N.,

OK, so it looked as if I was complaining about all of this name changing
business, but instead I decided to join the fun :)

>*Steve P.
>
>The more I think about it, the more I like the simplicity of the following:
>
>RM:   Topic Maps Metamodel

I agree with "Topic Map Metamodel"

"Metamodel" instead of only "Model" because of the level of abstraction of
the model.

Please note that I dropped the (s) for the noun modifer. Since "Map" can be
used as a verb this can be read as
Topic (subject) Maps (verb) Metamodel (object). In one style guide I
use,  the noun modifier should not be used in the plural. This may not be a
universal rule though. I can check.

>SAM:  Topic Maps Information Set

Topic Map Information Set

Delete (s) same reason as above.

Since it is based on the xml infoset, it makes sense.

>OK, so the acronyms are unpronounceable. But who's ever going to need them?
>Us, perhaps, especially during development. But we can just talk about
>"the metamodel" and "the information set" once the topic map context has
>been established (which is the default in our discussions anyway...):

We can say TMM and TMI for short. Not so bad, I think.

>All those in favour?

me, but just drop the (s)  :)

>Steve
>
>P.S. How about changing the name of WG3 from "Information Association" to
>"Information Aggregation"? Doesn't that better describe the business we
>are in?)

I still like association :)
(roots in Latin for "joining" and "companion"

aggregation "particulars into a mass or sum" (physical clustering)
The sound is too close to "aggression."

I have a vision of dead bodies piled up. Why? The Japanese kanji for a
"mass of things" is  "many bodies"  presumably many dead bodies outside the
gate, for example, if you know what i mean :)

There may be some relation.

We have lots of linguists in the group. Comments anyone?

Cheers,
Mary