[sc34wg3] RM: Comments on Topic Map Graphs

Mason, James David (MXM) sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:56:44 -0500

I generally approve of the sense of Patrick's comments, which is that this
thing has a lot of unnecessary words that just occupy space.

I came upon his message while rooking at Para 0045 and following. This whole
section could be replaced with simply the contents of the table in 0077.
There's no need for statements like 0061, which simply waste more than two
dozen words to say what line one of the table says without adding any
substantive information. Unless someone is going to say what the
significance of this arc is, there's no use wasting words on it.

Patrick seems to be suggesting that "well-formed nodes" may go away. That
will save me commenting that the whole section should be reduced to a table,
saving about 4 pages in length.

If we continue to prune away what one of my friends in the PR business is
proud to practice, "Content-free writing", maybe we can get this document
down to <20 pages.

Jim