[sc34wg3] occurrence - basename fuzzy border

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:18:29 -0000

Steve Pepper wrote:

> The other, more conceptual, argument for variant occurrences is that if
> names are merely a specialization of occurrences, then they shouldn't have
> any additional properties that are not essential to their specialization.
> don't see the ability to have variants as being the key thing that
> distinguishes names from occurrences. What distinguishes them is the
> semantic of providing a useful label for humans.

Since when is sorting relevant to occurrences? The key factor for topic maps
is the ability to distinguish the rules for sorting topic names from the
various display versions. This got munged in XTM, but is still just about
discernable. I don't see its applicability to occurrences, so there is not a
one-to-one correspondence, and therefore no need to keep a consistent
structure.

Martin Bryan