[sc34wg3] role vs. role type

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 06:04:15 -0500

Greetings!

Working my way through the RM draft and ran across what seems to be
either simply odd or confusing usage of role vs. role type. (Remember I
am learning ISO speak as a second language so this may just be
unfamiliarity with standards writing.)

For example:

> [parid0914] The term "casting" is consistent with the theatrical
> metaphor invoked by the term "role player". In an assertion, the role
> players are like the actors in a stage play. Each c-node represents
> the "casting" of an actor (a role player) in a specific role (a role
> type) in a specific stage production (a specific assertion), which may
> or may not be a production of a specific stage play (a specific
> assertion type).

What I am not seeing is why the term "role" is being renamed as "role
type?" Isn't it simpler to just say:

***Suggested revision***
Each c-node represents the "casting" of an actor (a role player) in a
specific role in a specific stage production (a specific assertion),
which may or may not be a production of a specific stage play (a
specific assertion type).
***/Suggested revision**

The usage runs through the draft, but consider another example:

> [parid0489] Each assertion represents (asserts the existence of) a
> single strongly-typed relationship among the subjects that are its
> "role players". Each role player is a subject that plays a specific
> role in the relationship. The roles ("role types") themselves are
> subjects, and so is the type of relationship of which the relationship
> is an instance.

Of which I would revise the last sentence to read:

***Suggested revision***
The roles themselves are subjects, and so is the type of relationship of
which the relationship is an instance.
***/Suggested revision***

The portion of the text that caused me to raise this question was in the
now infamous "George" example, the line in question reading:

parid0467 (reads in part)

> It is a relationship between George and Harvard in which Harvard plays
> the role of a degree-conferring institution (the "institution" role
> type), and George plays the role of the person upon whom the degree is
> conferred (the "MD degree holder" role type).

If I were reporting this example in normal speech I would say:

"It is a relationship between George and Harvard in which Harvard plays
the role of a degree-conferring institution (the "institution" role),
and George plays the role of the person upon whom the degree is
conferred (the "MD degree holder" role)."

I found any number of similar examples but the most telling, IMHO, is
the following:

> [parid0157] No multiple role players of a single role type
>
> [parid0158] In any given assertion, each role type is either played by
> a single subject, represented by a single node, or the role type is
> "unplayed", i.e., the role type has no role player. Multiple subjects
> cannot play the same role in the same assertion.

It seems clear to me that what is intended is parid0157 No multiple role
players of a single role" and parid0158 "In any given assertion, each
role is either played by a single subject, represented by a single node,
or the role is "unplayed",...

I started to compile a list of these usages with suggested corrections
but it seems systematic enough to be something I could be missing.

Is there some reason to say "role type" when "role" appears to serve
just as well?

Thanks!

Patrick

--