[sc34wg3] Topic Maps land and SAM land

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 02:43:22 -0500 (EST)

> The two models are different. Either you implement the SAM model, or
> you implement the RM model.

There's that "either/or" thing again.

Either it is not "either/or" but "both/and", or I am wrong. If I am wrong,
it should be easy  to show that I am, by citing the text of the RM that
proves that.

> If the OKS is an RM tool, then Excel, Notepad, and Apache are also RM
> tools.

Well, supposing that all of these tools generated data that contained
inherent topic map information, and supposing that they could be specified
as such using the RM, would that be such a bad thing? "Embrace and
extend" sounds like a pretty good idea to me ;-)

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

Co-Editor, ISO Reference Model for Topic Maps

Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.gooseworks.org

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.