[sc34wg3] The role of the RM

05 Feb 2003 12:51:18 +0100

* Patrick Durusau

| I am not sure why the arguments of "some people" are of that much
| concern. I have always assumed that the operation of 13250 was not
| merely happenstance and like the fusion reaction in the sun, it
| works even if the theoretical basis has not been made explicit. The
| question of whether the SAM is ready for publication by London is a
| wholly separable question.

I don't really see how both of these statements can be true:

 - the RM "defines what it means to be a topic map", and

 - the SAM is independent of the RM and can be published before the RM
   is finished.

Do you think this is true? If so, how can that work? What if the
requirements in the RM change after the SAM is finished so that the
SAM no longer meets the criteria?

Is the answer in this part of what you wrote?

| I have always assumed that the operation of 13250 was not merely
| happenstance and like the fusion reaction in the sun, it works even
| if the theoretical basis has not been made explicit.

If so, what's the point of the RM, and in what sense does it really
connect with the SAM?