[sc34wg3] The role of the RM

Steve Pepper sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 04 Feb 2003 22:51:58 +0100

At 12:36 04.02.2003 -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>It would be helpful if you could say "why" the RM would delay the data
>model rather than simply making the statement. All I have seen so far, and
>there may have been posts that I have missed, have simply had that
>statement and no more.

If the RM is supposed to provide some kind of theoretical underpinning for
13250, some people might argue that we can't release the SAM until the RM
is finished. As I have noted several times, I personally do not think that
the RM is anywhere near prime time. The SAM, on the other hand, is nearing
completion. Its editors hope to pretty much finalize it in London. Do we
then go to publication with it, or do we keep it on hold while the RM is
finished to the committee's satisfaction?

Do you understand the concern now?

>I appreciate your candor as it sets the stage for at least addressing this
>issue and the placement of other parts of the standard, when we reach
>London. I will respond if anyone has any substantive points to advance but
>prefer to use the time between now and May to help insure there is a
>visible answer to Steve's concerns and not a theoretical one.

I'm not sure if this is a polite way of saying that you are not interested
in engaging in further polemics with me :) To be on the safe side I won't
answer your other points unless you ask me to (even though I did find one
or two of them very disappointing).

In any case, I'm off to Barcelona for a few days!

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)