[sc34wg3] Let's revert to N323!

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 04 Feb 2003 06:39:17 -0500

Holger,

Rath, Holger (empolis KL) wrote:
<snip>

>We should again raise the issue if the RM is a part of this multipart
>standard or a separate standard on its own.

All right, consider the issue raised.

What do you think are the reasons for either including the RM as part of
this multipart standard or it being a separate standard on its own?

Since I am asking for your opinion, I will offer my own:

The RM should be part of this multipart standard.

(The following are personal statements and do not reflect any official
or unofficial opinion of any group, organization or other persons.)

Reasons:

The RM is designed to define the essence of what it means to be a topic
map and provides a heuristic device for evaluating topic map models and
topic maps separate and apart from any particular data model or
implementation or instance of a topic map. (If anyone disagrees with
this assessment, it would be helpful if you could point to the parts of
the RM that you read as supporting some contrary view. I am aware that
contrary views exist, but they do not appear to be based on reading of
the RM but on other grounds. That appearance could be resolved by
citations to the RM.)

That seems to me to be foundational in nature and most appropriately
placed in the multipart topic map standard.

.Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
Director of Research and Development