[sc34wg3] Let's revert to N323!

Mary Nishikawa sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 03 Feb 2003 19:38:49 +0900

At 17:29 03/02/02 +0100, you wrote:
>Baltimore was a very productive meeting in many ways, especially
>in terms of resolving issues in the SAM. But the decisions we took
>relating to the "roadmap" have simply caused confusion.

Steve,

First of all thanks for writing this.

>Until then we had documented consensus on the direction we were
>taking, as shown in N323
>
>    http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0323.htm
>
>In summary, this consensus consisted of the following:
>
>(1)  13250 would be "restated" as a multipart standard with the SAM
>      as its core.
>(2)  Separate parts would be devoted to the XTM and HyTM syntaxes
>      respectively. Each would include a deserialization specification
>      expressed in terms of the SAM as well as a specification of the
>      syntax itself.
>(3)  A separate part would be devoted to the canonicalization syntax,
>      again expressed in terms of the SAM.
>(4)  TMCL and TMQL would be separate standards defined in terms of the
>      SAM.
>(5)  The Reference Model would constitute a separate part of 13250 and
>      there would be a mapping from the RM to the SAM.

Yes, this is what we have been discussing all along since I joined the
National Body of Japan last yearin the Spring and it made sense to us, so
we have been thinking about it and agreed to it for at least 8 months at
least. This is very important and not to be taken lightly.

>In Baltimore we changed this "roadmap" in two separate ways:
>
>(i)  We recommended going for multiple standards instead of a multipart
>      standard.

This multiple to separate isn't the worst. The Problem is   3 standards
plus amendments were selected for 6 documents. How were these to be broken
up? It was not clear to us when reading this New Work Proposal.

Actually the first draft had 6 documents listed  which would become 6 parts
in a multipart standard. The math works out.
It looked to us as if t his was changed in haste and did not represent what
had been discussed over a long period by all interested parties, including
local members in Japan, who did not attend WG3 meetings.

>(ii) We rearranged the distribution of content between the SAM and the
>      syntax parts.
>
>According to Lars Marius (the editor and primus motor behind both the SAM
>and the XTM syntax specification) the latter decision screws things up for
>him in a major way. We should take this very seriously.

Just look at where the drafts stand now and how they would read. He would
have to do substantive rewrites on three documents just to get it to "fit"
nevermind whether it would make complete sense or not.

>Other people have also objected to the way in which the latter two
>decisions were reached.
>
>For those reasons, I think we should do as Lars Marius suggests and
>regard N323 as the last documented consensus.
>
>In London we should take a final decision on whether to go the multipart
>route or the multiple standard route. Provided our new work item proposal
>(N358) is approved, I think we are free to make that choice ourselves.
>(That is, although N358 states that we "expect" to develop more than one
>standard, we can still do a multipart standard, if we so choose.)

We discussed this at our local meeting and thought it was important enough
to vote "no" on the New Work Item until this is  straightened out. I will
forward this to Komachi-san and he will decide what is best.

Komachi-san also mentioned that the ballot is incomplete since it is
missing the New Work Item Acceptance Criteria.