[sc34wg3] RM4TM SLUO : Objective or Requirement?

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 22:00:25 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Bernard Vatant wrote:

> Some thoughts about SLUO ...
>
> In the introduction:
>
> "Many of the key advantages of the Topic Maps paradigm derive from the achievement of its
> primary objective, the "Subject Location Uniqueness Objective", which is to make
> everything known about every subject in a topic space accessible from a single location
> within that space."
>
> And further on:
>
> 3.4.1   One subject for each node
>
> "In topic map graphs, only nodes can represent subjects, and every node represents a
> single subject." [1]
>
> Question en paasant : Why not use the word "topic" instead of "node" throughout? To what
> extent is the above different of all the existing prose in ISO 13250, XTM 1.0, Published
> Subjects TC ... "In a topic map, a topic is the formal representation of a single
> subject". The notion of having nodes in the TMG representing "implicit" subjects that are
> not topics in the corresponding topic map is IMO extremely confusing and hard to grasp.
>
> Now a core issue ...
>
> If I understand well the SLUO, out of RM prose and recent Steve Newcomb's comments,
> SLUO is not expressed by 3.4.1 but by the reverse:
>
> "In a topic map graph, every subject is represented by a single node" [2]
>
> That I can't find anywhere explicitly expressed in the document - did I miss it?
> I assume 3.4.1. means what it says. If it is intended to express also the SLUO, it's a bug
> to be fixed.
>
> OTOH if SLUO is only an Objective, it should be expressed by:
>
> Recommendation:

REF: parid0034
TXT: In a topic map graph, every subject is represented by a single node
FIX: In a topic map graph, every subject *should be* (as far as
possible) represented by single node
COM:  There is *no way* to make sure that two distinct
> topics (nodes) do not *represent in fact the same subject* because of the above remark.
> Subjects that are considered implicitly distinct in a given topic map, on the basis that
> they are represented by distinct topics with distinct SIDPs, might be considered identical
> by another topic map on the basis of new discovered properties ... This is a frequent
> process in progress of knowledge that subjects considered as distinct at some point are
> discovered as being the same later on. Think about various historical apparitions of
> Halley's comet before Halley's discovery that they were the same one returning ...

END