[sc34wg3] FW: Proposal for Starter Content

Murray Altheim sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 20:36:44 +0100

Ann Wrightson wrote:
> Yes - this is v. well founded work that has a wide range of
> applicability across many industries.

Jim & Ann,

What would be the copyright or IPR issues in doing so? I saw that
list and went, wow! sorta like my own "Ceryle authoring ontology"
(which is a fairly straightforward upper ontology) and of course
a bit like things like SUO and Cyc...

So my second question is therefore:  does this project have any
relationship to these existing upper ontology projects?

If there aren't any IPR issues, I wouldn't mind hooking the
URLs into my own upper ontology where there is subject identity,
i.e., mapping between the various ontologies I'm using or planning
to use and this one.

And that brings up a third question, is there going to be a final
resting place for this spec, such that I can continue to point to

  http://www.tc184-sc4.org/wg3ndocs/wg3n1328/lifecycle_integration_schema/lexical/thing.html

as having the same subject as Cyc's #$Thing and Ceryle's "Thing"?

If there aren't any IPR issues and there is a base URL available,
I'm happy to do this work, BTW. I'm looking for all sorts of
upper ontologies that my target audience (fiction and nonfiction
writers) can use as classification schemes. I'd like to use Dewey,
but can't because of copyright (apparently).

Thanks,

Murray

BTW, I just got back from HyperText 2003 in Nottingham, and one of
the papers there (to my mind) essentially reinvented Topic Maps.
Though they didn't talk much about things like subject identity
or some of the other thornier issues we have been grappling with.

[...]

Murray Altheim                         http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK                    .

   The Office of Special Plans (OSP) was set up by the defence secretary,
   Donald Rumsfeld, to second-guess CIA information and operated under
   the patronage of hardline conservatives in the top rungs of the admini-
   stration, the Pentagon and at the White House, including Vice-President
   Dick Cheney. The ideologically driven network functioned like a shadow
   government, much of it off the official payroll and beyond congressional
   oversight. [...It] also forged close ties to a parallel, ad hoc intelli-
   gence operation inside Ariel Sharon's office in Israel specifically to
   bypass Mossad and provide the Bush administration with more alarmist
   reports on Saddam's Iraq than Mossad was prepared to authorise.
   http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,999737,00.html

   (my longest .sig!)