[sc34wg3] Conformance

Graham Moore sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:00:09 +0100

Hi Luis,

The SAM doesn restrict you to any one kind of implementation. As you say its
the data model for topic maps. This can be implemented in many ways - and
has been. What the model conveys is that regardless of how you store or
provide access to the topicmap model there are functional constraints. The
model communicates what those functional constraints are.

So for example,

function topicNames(t , n) ; which matches or returns names belong to a
topic

is expressed in the SAM by saying using the infoset notation that a Topic
has many names.

The SAM defines what relationships extist between things in the model.
Comformant applications must honour those relationships. It doesnt matter
how they do it.

There are some other things like,

The Model conveys that if you pose the question 'give me all the names
associated with a topic' that there wont be any occurrences in the result
set.

The Model defines certain 'contracts of access' or 'contracts of model
navigation' that must be supported in an implementation.

gra

Graham Moore, Ontopian               <URL: http://www.ontopia.net >
GSM: +44 (0) 7769658611             moore@ontopia.net