[sc34wg3] Review of N0393

27 Apr 2003 14:37:08 +0200

* Jan Algermissen

| N0393 defines merging on the basis of SIDP values. SIDP values can
| either be built-in (as the values for the N0396 properties [subject
| address], [subject identifiers] and [source locators]) or they can
| be conferred on the basis of role playings of a topic. This means
| that the fact that a topic plays a certain role in an assertion of a
| certain type can be defined (in a TMA) to result in a value of a
| certain property. This property can then be used for merging rules.

I didn't see that. In that case it obviously is allowed to do such
merging. I agree the prose explaining this could be improved. In my
opinion putting all merging rules in a single place would be the best
way to solve it.

| Well, what I seriously don;t understand is this:
|
| Is the reason to object to N0393
|
| a) the quality of the prose
|
| or
|
| b) the quality/nature of the overall concept

Both.

| If it is a) then I don't see the reason to object to the general idea,
| if it is b) then please say WHY.

That's what I've done at length in my review.

| Lars, two of the major issues you raised in your review posting
| result from lack of clarity/misunderstanding of the prose (see last
| reply and above), so you propably object to N0393 on the basis of
| conceptual misunderstandings.

I don't think so. Quite a few of my objections have been confirmed by
SRN's reply to my request for clarification of the value provided by
the HTTPGET TMA.

| Bottom line: is your understanding of the concept behind N0393 clear
| enough to serve as the basis for the decision to propose to take the
| whole thing out of ISO13250?

In my view, yes. I'd be more than willing to let the authors of N0393
spend Saturday afternoon in London on trying to convince me and those
who feel like me to change our minds.

| In other words: do you *know* what the nature of the thing is that
| you propose to be taken out of ISO13250?

Not completely, but well enough, I feel. The feedback I've gotten from
you that shows me to have been wrong on two counts is just details.