[sc34wg3] Review of N0393

27 Apr 2003 13:21:37 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| And what about assertions? Are they expressed with properties, or
| are they not? That's just about the most basic question about the RM
| you can imagine and N0393 does not even answer that.

* Jan Algermissen

| Well, look at Section 2.2, it's all there.

You are right. I would recommend cutting the definition of 'assertion'
after the first sentence and moving it to section 4, since the
glossary is not the right place to define key aspects of the data
model.

Also, if I read the rest of the document correctly, this means that it
is illegal to do merging on the basis of assertions, which again means
that it is illegal to do merging on the basis of relationships.
Clearly, that's unacceptable. Relationships can obviously convey
identity information, and both the SAM and RDF allow them to in ways
that are not hardwired into the model, but left for applications to
define (in the RM that would be "applications of applications").

| Lars, what is the purpose/benefit of conveying your disappointment?

Two things, really:

 - it's a kind of high-level feedback on my overall reaction to N0393,
   and

 - it serves to explain the position I take on what should be done
   about it.

That's pretty much it.