[sc34wg3] RE: Thoughts on the RM

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:20:27 +0100

Steve Pepper wrote:

> Imagine this:
>
> Someone has just invented XML and it doesn't seem to be doing too well; it
> certainly isn't pervasive yet. That person notices that lots of people are
> using a syntax based on backslashes and curly brackets instead of pointy
> brackets:
>
>     \author{Jane Doe}   instead of   <author>Jane Doe</author>
>
> So he goes off and invents a Reference Model for XML which allows them to
> claim that well, actually, LaTeX *is* XML (although its users don't know
> that). The few people that took any notice of such a preposterous claim
> would simply find it laughable.

A word of warning Steve from a old SGML hand :-)

\author{Jane Doe{ is valid SGML, as is <author>Jane Doe</author>.

I could imagine another markup language that would make <author
ml1:etago="/">Jane Doe/ valid just as I could envisage the following being a
topic map:

   <Entry>
       <GlossaryDef>
          <GlossaryRef>glossary.htm#TopicMap</GlossaryRef>
       </GlossaryDef>
       <Title>Topic Maps
           <Subtitle>application of</Subtitle>
       </Title>