[sc34wg3] Questions on N0396: (14) name equality

23 Apr 2003 01:41:48 +0200

* Jan Algermissen

| So, when merging two name items, what do I do with the strings if
| they are not equal? Is it up to me what to do? Can I simply throw
| one away?

Yes. That would be what we used to call "topic map authoring". The XTM
spec would require you to build a certain structure and perform
certain minimal merges. After that you're on your own and can do
whatever you like so long as you obey the structural rules (those
implicit in the item types and properties) and the SAM constraints.

| What if I want to keep both strings, how could I attach both to the
| name item that is the result of the merge?

You can't merge name items if their strings are different and keep
both strings. That would be a violation of the structural rules.