[sc34wg3] Questions on N0396: (13) what is the [type] of aname?

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:33:48 +0200

Graham Moore wrote:

> Jan,
>
> Why would names be done as properties and occurrences as assertions in a
> TMM -> SAM mapping?

Well, don't ask me. *I* would certainly model basenames, occurrences, variantnames
and scope as assertions. I am doing N0396 as a TMA and as it is now, N0396
appearently does not think of topic-basename relationships to be reifiable
relationships:

There is only a topic name item and it is not clear from N0396 if that
item surrogates the relationship or the name. Said in another way: If
the name itself is not a subject, what are the subjects that an assertion
should 'connect' to each other?

This is why I interprete names (in N0396) to be attached to topics by
means of a property and NOT an assertion.

Any clues welcome!

> One of the reasons you gave for occurrence as assertions
> was because they are scoped. Names are also scoped though.

Ok, then the name item seems to surrogate the relationship.
The question remains: what subject is playing the name-role?

Jan