[sc34wg3] Questions on N0396: (13) what is the [type] of aname?

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:59:02 +0200

Steve Pepper wrote:

> At 20:23 22.04.2003 +0200, Jan Algermissen wrote:
> >what is the meaning of the [type] property on the
> >name item? Can you give me some examples of name types?
>
> It specifies the class to which the name belongs, just as
> [type] properties on occurrence, association and association
> role items do.
>
> It was introduced at the Baltimore meeting in order to solve
> the issue of the topic-naming-constraint. As such it is an
> extension to XTM (note that <baseName> elements can now have
> <instanceOf> subelements*), but one that was deemed to be
> necessary in order to fix the TNC bug.

[having a hard time to resist the temptation to comment on calling
 the TNC a bug :o) ]

> See
>    http://www.ontopia.net/omnigator/models/topic_complete.jsp?tm=tm-standards.xtm&id=293
>
> for more details.
>
> An example might be
>
> <topic id="germany">
>    <baseName>
>      <instanceOf><topicRef xlink:href="#iso3166-code"/></instanceOf>
>      <baseNameString>de</baseNameString>
>    </baseName>
> </topic>
>
> The topic with the ID "iso3166-code" represents a class of names.
>
> If that topic is an instance of the class
>    http://psi.topicmaps.org/sam/1.0/#unique-characteristic
>
> topics with names of that type will be subject to name-based merging.

So in that sense, a controled vocabulary is a 'class of names', yes?

> Note that "unique-characteristic" is similar in some ways to the RM's
> SIDPs...

Well, sure! A SAM-as-TMA would provide two properties, one propably called
"QualifiedName" (value type being a set of name-nameclass pairs) and the other
one "Label" (value type being a set of names).

Thanks Steve,

Jan