[sc34wg3] Questions on N0396: (14) name equality

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:34:57 +0200

Lars, Graham--

N0396 defines merging of names on the basis of string equality.
Since string equality is said to be character by character equality,
this means that an application cannot choose to do name merging
on "fuzzy" equality (e.g. "Monster" and "monster"). Is that true?

I suppose one could define an additional merging rule that merges
topics on the basis of "fuzzy" name equality, yes?

But I can never merge two name items that have a "fyzzy-euqal" string
value, yes?

So, even if I consider the two name items ["monster"] and ["Monster"] to be
surrogates for the same subject (the same name), N0396 prohibits me from
merging them, yes?

Is there any particular reason for this?

Jan

--
Jan Algermissen                           http://www.topicmapping.com
Consultant & Programmer	                  http://www.gooseworks.org