[sc34wg3] Editorial structure of N0396

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:48:01 +0100

Sam wrote:

> It looks to me like the place for the relationship of this document to
> other documents (the other parts) is the foreword, but the foreword,
> though required, is missing.
>
> Not sure about the word "part" either. A standard with parts (is that a
> multi-part standard?) would have all its parts numbered 0000-1, 0000-2,
> but (calling on my "non-Martian" knowledge for a moment) I don't recall
> any such numbering scheme being proposed.

Now that we have formally voted to prepare a multi-part standard, a forward
that covers all parts has to be written by some editor appointed by the
working group, as does a scope which covers all the parts (which will be
supplemented in each part by a statement of what that part does. All
references to parts other than the one you are writing will have to take the
form "Part X of this standard" instead of referring to something like SAM,
XTM, HyTM and TMM as the current non-ISO conformant draft texts do. None of
the current texts is in adequate form for distribution as a DIS, but first
CDs do not need to be so complete, and most of the drafts are just about
acceptable as first CDs. (SAM, XTM and HyTM share a common structure and
format at present, which makes it obvious they are designed to work
together.)

Martin Bryan
IS-Thought: Thinkers for the Information Society
29 Oldbury Orchard, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone: +44 1452 714029 Fax: +44 1452 859991
E-mail: martin@is-thought.co.uk

Thought of the week:
Knowledge will finally stretch out its hand for that which is its due -
it will want to rule and possess it, and you with it.
Nietzsche, Aphorism 283 in Well Preparing Human Beings