[sc34wg3] Editorial structure of N0396

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 19:27:53 -0400 (EDT)

> | So what, exactly, is the problem? Only that the SAM abstract doesn't
> | unambiguously spell it out, or something more?
>
> * Patrick Durusau
> |
> | Something more actually.
>
> Patrick, thank you very much for coming straight out with it.

The N0396 working draft fails to conform to ISO's requirements for a
standards document (see the original post).

Not merely because of the ambiguous wording of the abstract (see above)
but because it fails to include editorial material that ISO mandates (see
the original post) -- for example, a foreword, which, if present, would
have explained or at least sketched which portions of 13250 were to be
cancelled and replaced, and the relationship of N0396 to other documents
-- what we seem to be discussing now, at least in part.

Whether the committee ultimately decides on a multi-part or a single
standard is a separate concern.

In other words, "something more" should be read as "in addition to" rather
than "as a replacement of."

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

Co-editor:  ISO Reference Model for Topic Maps
  Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.gooseworks.org
  XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.