[sc34wg3] Editorial structure of N0396

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 07:47:49 -0400 (EDT)

> * Sam Hunting
> |
> | N0396 ("the draft", or the "SAM") in its present form evidences its
> | potential status as part of a larger, complete standard.[1] There
> | are a number of requirements for ISO standards, which could be met
> | by other parts of a complete replacement draft for ISO 13250 but are
> | not present in the draft.
> | [...]
> | "Together with" implies that N0396 is to be a standards document,
> | complete in and of itself. The informal "road map" agrees. However,
> | "part of the new ISO 13250 standard" implies the opposite. We have
> | chosen this second alternative since that is consistent with N0396
> | as delivered, and assumed that N0396 is indeed designed as part of a
> | single, larger standard that is to replace ISO 13250.
>
> What we all agreed was that we would make ISO 13250 a multi-part
> standard. How you can interpret the SAM as saying otherwise is beyond
> me, but I can assure you that that is not the intention of the authors.
> You may want to update your review based on this.

Not necessary. The text is what is relevant here, not intent, or
agreements (see below) that are not part of the text.

"Part of a multi-part standard" does not follow, for me, from the text
"part of the new ISO 13250 standard," which, as it stands, implies a
single document, as ISO13250 is a single document.

Here again is the complete note 1, which is "how I interpret":

    [1] The abstract of N0396 reads in part:

        Together with the Reference Model specification and the HyTM
        syntax specification this document will supersede [ISO13250].
        Together with the XTM syntax specification this document will
        supersede [XTM]. It is intended to become part of the new ISO
        13250 standard.

     "Together with" implies that N0396 is to be a standards
     document, complete in and of itself. The informal "road map"
     agrees. However, "part of the new ISO 13250  standard" implies
     the opposite. We have chosen this second alternative, since that
     is consistent with N0396 as delivered, and assumed that N0396 is
     indeed designed as part of a single, larger standard that is to
     replace ISO 13250.

Perhaps a foreword that gave the parts of 13250 that were to be cancelled
or replaced would have enabled an unambiguous interpretation, but the
foreword is one of the required missing parts.

Re: the "road map", what was agreed to, what that means, and the way
forward, see Patrick Durusau at:

   http://www.isotopicmaps.org/pipermail/sc34wg3/2003-April/001430.html

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

Co-editor:  ISO Reference Model for Topic Maps
  Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.gooseworks.org
  XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.