[sc34wg3] N0391-0394: New SAM/XTM documents

Robert Barta sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 09:58:17 +1000

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 05:52:27PM +0200, Jan Algermissen wrote:
> Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> >
> > * Robert Barta
> > |
> > | OK, both SAM and TMM are for me 'deserialisation techniques'. This
> > | means that if I have an instance X in XTM (or some other
> > | serialization/syntax) that both """""models""""" (mind the quotes :-)
> > | define ANOTHER syntax, this time an abstract syntax. The structure is
> > | defined via a set of constraints.  These, for instance, define that a
> > | topic might have a number of characteristics together with a scope.
>

> Well, just for the record....I seriously wonder what part of the TMM
> is the basis for your understanding. Can you provide a quote?

Jan,

This is what I read from it, even though it might not be explicitely
in there. If I read a lot of (simply picking one at random):

   3.2.1  Property names

     Every property has a name; the name is different from that
     assigned to all other properties, assertion types, and roles.

then this is syntax. I have symbols 'name' and 'property' and they
have to be arranged in a particular way. Additional constraints are
that this 'name' symbol must not appear in other places of the
structure.

/me browsing through TMM again...

The whole document is full of these constraints which ensure that the
structure has exactly the form you want.

The only 'operational part' I see is section 9 'Fully Merged Topic
Maps'. Please correct me if I am wrong!

\rho