[sc34wg3] Questions on N0396: (6) topic map item (how do I find all occurrences?)

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 21:16:44 +0200

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Jan Algermissen
> |
> | Since there is no [occurrences] property on a topic map item, does
> | that mean that conforming applications need not provide a way to
> | find all occurrences in a topic map?
>
> Nope. You can easily find all occurrences by traversing all topic
> items and gathering together the occurrences found in their
> [occurrences] properties.

Ok, I see what your thinking is (I hope).

But then I have another question:

Besides the [reifier] property, all properties are NOT
computed ones with the only exception of [roles played]
on the topic item.

What is the rationale behind providing the role playings
information as a computed property but not the others I
have been talking about (e.g. all occurrences of a topic map item).

Since the properties that do not provide the 'essential connections'
(the connections that preserve the structure of the topic map) don't
actually have any effect (see conformance discussion), I wonder why THIS
property is there?

Jan