[sc34wg3] Questions on N0396: (4) association role item

18 Apr 2003 17:37:02 +0200

* Jan Algermissen

| An association role item has no property that 'connects' the item to
| an association item. Where can I find that information in a N0396
| topic map?

Traverse all the association items until you find the one that has
this association role in its [roles] property and you have the right
one. Obviously, implementations won't do it this way, but this is how
you specify that operation on top of the SAM.

| The deeper question is of course: Given a topic, how do I find the
| associations that it is a role player in?

I agree that is the most obvious use case.

| To me this implies that a conforming implementation need not provide
| that information, is that correct?

Nope. They just don't have to provide it directly.