[sc34wg3] Questions on N0396: (7) possible discrepancy between prose and UML

18 Apr 2003 17:29:28 +0200

* Jan Algermissen

| I really do think that the prose and the diagrams must be consistent
| with each other.

That is of course the goal, but human nature being what it is we can't
guarantee that they will be. The XTM 1.0 specification was published
with internal inconsistencies due to redundancy and so this sentence
is there to guard against problems should this happen.

| Otherwise I suggest to drop the diagrams.

We could do that, but I feel they are helpful as visualizations, and
they are also useful politically. If we do our best to make sure the
two are consistent that should be enough, I think.

| In other words: the sentence does not build confidence in the
| readers mind ;-)

Not sure that is so important. It's more important to be unambiguous.